With the latest round of cold weather after one of the most extreme winter season's on record, the Great Lakes are still frozen in ice and causing a shipping nightmare.
Footage from Lake Michigan near Green Bay where solid ice has all but stopped freighter traffic until ice breakers were able to open up a path for them.
1) SS Wilfred Sykes coming into solid ice at 4 Mph and stopping in only about 100 feet.
2) Sykes breaking through floating plates of 2-3\' ice.
3)Looking down ships port side at the ice field across Green Bay.
4-5) Ice along the ships side showing how thick it is.
6) USCG Cutter Mobile Bay breaking ice – you can clearly see the bubbler system the cutter uses to assist it in breaking through the ice.
7) Mobile Bay w/ the shadow of the Sykes.
8)Tug Erika Kobasic loosening the track.
9) 1000\' ship Burns Harbor outbound with a full load of Iron Ore.
10) The 1013\' ship Paul R. Tregurtha loading in Escanaba, MI while the 728\' Joseph L. Block waits to load iron ore.