Kansas City Metro area was under a slight risk for severe storms on Sunday, April 13, 2014. There was a Severe Thunderstorm Watch issued in the early afternoon hours and between 3p-5p The Kansas City Metro was hit by the leading edge of a massive squall line. I was able to get under the leading edge and get a look at the whales mouth of the storm. It was very impressive. I managed to drive a small loop around KC first heading north than east and south. When I was in Grandview, MO just south of the KC Metro there was a wreck that had happened and emergency personal were arriving on scene.
1. Driving shot of Highway 71/Interstate 29 heading north just north of North Kansas City of the approaching bow echo that was severe thunderstorm warned. You can see the rain behind the leading edge
2. Wide angle driving shot heading towards Downtown Kansas City on Highway 71/Interstate 29. The whales mouth is approaching the downtown area and you can see the buildings on the left and the rain curtain on the right side of the frame
3. Close up shot of downtown Kansas City with the leading edge of the squall line moving over. Shot from the north side of the Missouri River facing south.
4. Zoomed out shot of downtown Kansas City with the leading edge of the squall line moving over and the rain curtain on the right side of the frame. Shot from the north side of the Missouri River facing south.
5. Driving shot of the Interstate 35 bridge heading south towards downtown KC while it is still under the leading edge \'whales mouth\' of the squall line.
6. Driving shot of heavy rain on the Kansas side of Kansas City heading south on Interstate 35.
7. Driving shot of heavy rain on the Kansas side of Kansas City heading south on Interstate 35. At the Interstate 35/75th Street exit a car was in the wrong lane and cut me off as it merged left in front of me hitting a small water puddle and splashing water onto my windshield.
8. Driving shot of heavy rain on the Kansas side of Kansas City heading south on Interstate 435.
9. Driving shot of a wreck that happened on Highway 71/Interstate 29 south bound in Grandview, MO. As I was driving by this wreck the police were already there and the fire truck was just arriving. The driver of the fire truck pulls out to block a little more of the right lane which caused me to have to slow down and almost stop so that I could merge into the left lane while traffic was moving. The fireman jumped out of the side of the truck to assist with the single car wreck.
10. Close up shot of the fireman talking before the ambulance left for the hospital at the wreck on south bound Highway 71/Interstate 29
11. Close up shot of the car that wreck by what seemed to be hitting the guard rail on Highway 71/Interstate 29 south bound in Grandview, MO
12. Driving shot of the car that hit the guard rail on Highway 71/Interstate 29 south bound after the fire trucks and ambulance left. The police were seem to be waiting for a tow truck to take the car off the side of the highway