Lightning struck this hay bale storage facility and over half of the hay bale inventory owned by Dupont has burned. The fire has been burning for over 16 hours.
Press copy from Nevada Iowa Fire Department:
"Nevada, Gilbert, Roland, Mccallsburg, Zearing, Colo Fd, along with Story County EMA and Story County Sheriff Dispatch supported efforts on this corn stover fire. Lightning struck this site Thursday eve. A four hour effort was in vain when the approaching storm changed wind directions 180 degrees.
This fire will likely burn for several days. The fire departments responded using minimal water to protect equipment and exposures as these type of fires smolder rather than extinguish."
(Tripod video, high winds)
1. Tight shot of hay bales burning
2. Wide shot of hay bales burning and the large plume of smoke blowing
3. Another tight shot of hay bales burning, higher point, different angle
4. Tight shot of hay bales burning
5. Another tight shot of hay bales burning, higher point, different angle, homestead in foreground
6. Wide shot of hay bales burning next to the un-burned remaining bales.