Kansas City including the state of Missouri was under a Slight Risk for Severe Storms on Thursday, March 27, 2014. The initial thought was an analysis from the Storm Prediction Center of a Severe Thunderstorm Watch which when issued ended up being a Tornado watch for the eastern part of Kansas and Western side of Missouri. Storms formed early in the afternoon and races east between 45-60mph. I was able to document a Severe Thunderstorm as I drove through Sedalia, MO and than on the east side of town document a hail storm. While I was in KCMO There was a hail storm which caused problems and a small traffic jam at the Grandview Triangle where Interstates 435, 470, and Highway 71 intersect. At this junction on Highway 71 there was a local news truck sitting under one of the over passes.
1. Driving shot heading east on Highway 50 towards Sedalina, MO with a shot of the Severe Thunderstorm heading towards town.
2. Driving shot of the back edge of the first Severe Thunderstorm going through Sedalia, MO heading east on Highway 50.
3. Close shot of heavy rain bands hitting the west side of Sedalia, MO with visibility only down to a few feet
4. Driving shot of the heavy rain bands hitting the west side of Sedalia, MO with visibility only down to a few feet with traffic heading west
5. Driving shot of a small traffic jam on the 2 lane Highway 50 just west of Smithton, MO on Highway 50. With the visibility being low along with being in the small hail core it was hard to see the cars in front of us stop. The SUV in front seemed to veer to the right to avoid hitting the car in front of it.
6. Driving shot from inside the hail core on Highway 50 heading east with cars pulled over in the west bound lane waiting for the core to pass.
7. Driving shot of the road covered in hail in the middle of the hail core on Highway 50 heading east just west of Smithton, MO
8. Driving shot from inside the hail core still with a rainbow in the foreground. While this shot was being taken the severe thunderstorm warning became a tornado warning
9. Clean driving shot in the rain of a rainbow on the north side of a tornado warning on Highway 50 heading east
10. Driving shot of a small hail core from afar moving over the highway.
11. Slow moving traffic at the Grandview Triangle after a hail core went through the area.
12. Close up zoomed shot of hail on the Interstate 49/Highway 71 along the Grandview Triangle on the southeast side of Kansas City, MO
13. Driving shot of cars under an overpass at the Grandview Triangle waiting to merge into the heavy traffic after a hail went through the area
14. A local Kansas City network Sat Truck sitting a quarter ways under an overpass after a hail core went through the area on Highway 71.